Friday 15 May, 2009

Procedure for AIEEE counselling.. Good College vs Favourite Stream

http://mysticalorp.blogspot.com/ http://moneyandorp.blogspot.com/

With soooo many colleges..sooo many branches...and your career at stake, counselling can get quite confusing.. I know a few friends who made an ill-informed decision regarding their choice of college and are now cribbing and crying at their fate.




A good college will get you the best placement available to a student of your capabilities. Or if you're planning on further studies, IITs , BITs and NITs are the few Indian universities that are well-known abroad , which will make it easier for you to get accepted in an esteemed institute or obtain that wonderful scholarship.



Hence I couldn't overemphasise how necessary it is that a student is aware of which college, which stream , in which part of the India you will be interested in..especially the girls.



In my case, my parents told me at the last minute ,the day before I was to fill my AIEEE college choices, that I shouldn't opt for NIT jaipur or calicut or kurukshetra..They were worried about my safety in the north , these places were too far away from my home in Pune. Luckily I got the branch of my choice (Biotechnology)in a good NIT (warangal)+ my parents were happy too cause I have relatives in Secunderabad,which is 2 hours from Warangal. My AIR was 10,068.



It is very necessary that you keep your options flexible...



Make a list of minimum 20 options - in order of priority .



Your columns should be 1)College



2)Stream you are interested in,in that college



3)Which part of india the college is in


Ofcourse , choosing a good college should be your priority..


But suppose you clear JEE, don't know how to draw yet take Naval architecture ,because thats the only option available to you in IIT , while you could get EEE(assume you're interested in this ) in NIT warangal, I'd say you're doomed. You'l strugle with your academics all the time, you'l get the lowest CGPA( cause you'l be one of the highest ranks in IIT), you won't be happy ..


Now if you'd taken EEE, you'd do well academically, have loads of free time for other hobbies and personality development(important too) ,you'd be happy . Like 'The Alchemist' emphasised - Our personal calling in that which "fills us with enthusiasm".. You cannot achieve success in that which you donot put your heart and soul into, or by forcing yourself to do it when you don't want to . The best part is that there is high probability that you'l get ECE(which has more market value as of now) after the sliding procedure.


Especially since this recession has increased the importance of a student knowing his/her subject matter well .Until last year student from all possible branches got sucked into the IT industry for obscenely inflated salaries. But not anymore cause the IT industry is down, its stagnating..Biotechnology is the future :)


But as I said earlier a good college is of utmost importance too. The best companies (ie the ones that are still recruiting) the best jobs will come only to the best colleges.


K.. I guess you're a lil confused, think over it, what are these 2 months holidays for anyway?












No comments:

Post a Comment