Tuesday, 30 June, 2009

B.Sc vs B.Tech


B.Tech / B.E.

years of study

3-4 years

4-5 years

study focus

Basic science (pure science).

Applied science (technical / technological).


Broad and theoretical science.

Practical and technical science.


content is general with no specific changes / option for selecting a

You need to do M.Sc / M.Tech / M.E /MBA.
for specialisation.

It’s designed on individual field of engineering with an option to choose further specialisation / elective, in the final year, under your chosen field.

This helps you focus on your specific area of interest.

route to higher studies

Science & Research






MBA / P.G. Diploma




M.Tech / M.E

Engineering & Research

B.Tech / B.E

M.Tech / M.E




MBA / P.G. Diploma

curriculum rigour


Students need to be good with Science and maths subjects.

Tough and demanding.

Students need to be excellent in Science, especially Maths subjects.

career prospects

LOW – since the course is general in nature, you need to complete M.Sc to get a good start to your career.

GOOD – the choice of engineering discipline +
further specialisation under it gives an edge to choose and follow your career goals in that segment

However, for better and higher career prospects

M.Tech /

MBA is recommended.

which to choose?

If you are comfortable with basic science and are more inclined to
non-technical aspects of science, B.Sc is a good choice, and coupled with
M.Sc you can make good progress in your career.

If you are interested in the technical side of
science, designs, calculations etc., and ready to do take on a demanding and
challenging route, B.Tech is the right choice

higher studies /

combination degrees

If you are interested in research work, you may do Masters (MSc) and then PhD.

If you are interested in management stuff, go for an MBA after B.Sc.

If core engineering stuff is your forte / research work, you may do your Masters (M.Tech / M.E) and later PhD.

If management and business interests you, go for an MBA after B.Tech / B.E.

studying abroad

You need to complete your Masters (M.Sc).

B.Tech / B.E. is sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment